Friday, July 31, 2015

DIY Doorframe Bookshelf - My living room!


Hi everyone!

So today I want to share with you how we made this bookshelf. I need to say we as I am not very talented with building things. My thing is more crafting, decorating and coming up with ideas.
So our house had a lot of doors that in my opinion were useless. All rooms are reachable from the doorway so way make connect two rooms beside each other with another door. I felt this took up a lot of space where I could have put up a shelf or a sofa or something, so I decided to close some of them and make them useful. So this is the one in my living room, which functions now as a bookshelf.

What you will need for this is pretty simple. I used:
- one big white wooden "plate" in the size of the doorframe. We closed it with this from the other room.
- two types of wallpapers in the same size. As you can see one shows Marilyn Monroe and the other one New York. I went with black and white here as this matches my decorations and fit in perfectly with my other decorations. Also if I would repaint the living room in another colour than the light blue it would still fit in. (But you are of course free to choose any kind of wallpaper you like)
- wallpaper glue that works on wood and some brushes to get the air out under the wallpapers when you glue them to the surface
- you will also need a pen to mark off where to cut the wallpaper and something you can cut it with (scissor, craftingknife, etc.)
- the last thing we bought where the "shelf floors", we premeasured the size and bought them cut to our measurements
- you will also need these "L-shaped" thingys that will hold your shelf floors in place

Since I am not very handy I asked a friend to build me this, so I only came up with the idea. I was very happy how it turned out in the end and I am pretty impressed that the shelf holds the weight of the books that well. I decorated with some candles and some other stuff that fit in. During christmas the decoration is of course pretty different, so if you want to know how it looks with the christmas decorations let me know in the comments below and I will set up a post when that time of the year comes.
Thank you for reading and I hope you enjoyed it.

♥Nadja

2 comments: