Thursday, December 17, 2015

Our untraditional Christmas Dinner ideas!

Hi everyone!

Today I want to present you some of my untraditional Christmas dinner ideas. Why untraditional you might wonder?!
Well that is easy to answer. It has been a tradition and still is for so many people to eat goose with purple cabbage and dumplings. To be honest I never liked goose nor did I like dumplings so christmas dinner weren`t always fun for me and I always felt bad telling people I do not like the food they spent so much time on cooking on. Another reason to go untraditional and which actually was the main reason was that we all get hungry at different points of the evening. So sometimes I wasn`t even hungry when food got served and other times I was starving until it got served. Now think of having children which are all hungry and have to wait and wait and wait, we all know how exhausting this can be.
So we decided on mixing our christmas dinners up over the past 10 years. Sometimes we just changed the course sometimes we completely changed the "dinner" part.
So today I want to present you some options and some of my favourite recipes (where you of course have to adjust ingredients to your needs).

So the first Christmas we switched it up was when I was about 16. This was also the first christmas I was alone with my mom. We decided to have sole in a parsley butter crust with potatoes and vegetables of your choice (we went with brussle sprouts).
So what you will need for this recipe is:
Sole (according to how many you are one for each of you)
Butter
fresh Parsley
little bit of Parmesan
Salt
Pepper
Potatoes 
Vegetables of your choice
You mix an equal amount of butter with parsley, a pinch of salt and pepper and parmesan and put a layer of it on top of the sole, this goes into the oven on a medium temperature (depending on your oven) for about 20-30 or until it is cooked through. 
For the potatoes: you peel them, cook them with a bit of salt. Once they are cooked through you take them out of the water add a bit of butter to them and some herbs.
As we used brussel sprouts we usually cooked them through took them out of the water and added a tiny bit of butter, salt and pepper.
We usually served it immediately once the sole was through.
( I am sorry for not being able to provide you an exact recipe but I am one of those people who usually just goes after a feeling with the ingredients and after my taste)

A more cheaper and more convinient option especially when you are more people on christmas eve, but also when you are just too is to do a buffet.
We usually go for up to three types of salads depending on how many we are, sausages or meatballs.
My favourite salad of all is the pasta salad and we all know there thousands of thousands pasta salad recipes out there.
I want to share my favourite recipe with you which might not be the healthiest but hey it is christmas, so why not induldge a bit.
You will need for this:
Pasta (I prefer small riffled maccaroni)
Salad mayonnaise 
white balsamic vinegar
Salt
Pepper
Dill
1 Cucumber
canned peas
canned corn
chicken sausage (or any bologna you want)

I usually do the dressing first while the pasta is cooking or already cooling off. For 500gram of pasta I use one small glas of salad mayonnaise (I make sure the oil content is above 75% so that there is no yoghurt added to the mayonnaise as I am lactose free). I mix 1 to 2 Tbsp white wine vinegar with the mayonnaise. If you feel the taste of mayonnaise is to strong you can add a bit of greek yoghurt or milk if you want a thinner dressing (I like it thick).
You then spice it up with a bit of salt and pepper and lots of dill. Then I add the corn und the peas (of course without the excess water in the can).
I then cut the cucumber in small squares as well as the sausage. I mix all together before I add the completely cool paste. Make sure to mix it well and let it stand cold for at least one hour so that the pasta and everything can soak up the flavour.
You can even prepare it a day ahead as long as it stands cool. Make sure to mix it one more time right before serving.

What I like about the option with salads and meatballs is that everyone can just take a plate and eat some salad and meatballs throughout the evening when they are hungry. So no impatient kids or nearly starving adults.

As desserts we usually buy christmas themed ice cream and enjoy it all together. Or we are having typical christmas candy or some yoghurt and fruits.

I hope you liked some of these ideas. What are you having for dinner on Christmas? Are you mixing it up or do you prefer the traditional Christmas dinners? Let me know in the comments below and see you soon.

♥Nadja

1 comment:

  1. Oooooh yummy!!!! We have traditional Christmas dinners, but I also like your ideas. I know the feeling of waiting for dinner when I'm already really really hungry. It's such a bad feeling. :D

    ReplyDelete