Monday, September 19, 2016

Review: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Hi everyone,

today I am back with another review.

This is actually an unusual read for me but as I promised myself when I went back into reading I want to discover new genres and read less Thriller and crimes.
So today's review is on The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.

We are in Nazi Germany in the year 1939 and the Death tells us the story of Liesel Memminger who picks up a book on her brothers graveside and by that her habit of stealing books was born.
What is really special about this story is that it is told by death.

I must say WOW.
I still can't find the right words although I already finished it a month ago.
I never expected to like a World War II fiction as I usually avoid this part of history (had too much for it in school) but I loved this one.
The characters and the friendships are just so beautiful.
The story of course has its sad moments but then again they reminded me of all the things my grandma told me about World War II which made this book extremely special to me (just that you know I am not neutral in that point) as I finally understood and could imagine them.

Although it is really special to have the death as the narrator I needed some time to get used to it but by page 25 (or so) I was fine with that fact. From page 330 I again had a problem with it as I sometimes forgot that the story is told by death but that is the only problem I could mention with this novel.

It is a very unique World War II novel and with 5 out of 5 stars I would obviously recommend it.
But I would always add to it that the story is told by death.

Have you read or you planning on reading The Book Thief?- Let me know in the comments below.

See you soon and take care,

đź’śNadia

No comments:

Post a Comment