Monday, September 5, 2016

Review: Reverie by Lauren E. Rico


Hi everyone!

Today I am having another review for you. Today I am talking about a special Thriller.

The author of this book, Lauren E. Rico, was so kind to provide me with a copy of her first book of this series, Reverie, in exchange for an honest review.

So here we go.

Reverie takes place in the world of classical music. It is told from two perspectives, Julias` who is a Cellist and Jeremys` who is a hornplayer.
They both are auditioning for one of the most prestigeful music competitions while as well playing in the same orchestra.
Besides this aspect of being in a competition there is also love, death and obsession.

When I first picked up Reverie I was all about wanting to know what one would do to win a competition of that category (I mean after all I knew from the Synopsis it has elements of a Thriller and there is death involved), but when I then started to read this question turned into the back of my head as I instantly fell in love with Lauren Ricos writing.
Reverie is so fast-paced that it is unbelievable how Lauren still managed to choose her words in such an observant manner.
She combined the beauty and darkness of classical music with passion and obsession.
So I first of all was completely focus on the beautiful descriptions of how playing classical music changes the musician and how the musician changes the music.

The passionate part kicked in and for a minute I thought we are really going down the road of 50 Shades of Grey which would have been disastrous (who knows me, knows I don`t like 50 Shades of Grey), but Lauren Rico didn`t do that. She did something that I had a feeling about right from the start but what I also wasn`t quiet expecting.
So once the turn came my first intuition was that this is it. This is 50 Shades of Grey, just without the Millionaire, so more an episode of Criminal Minds.
And this effect couldn`t have been made any better than Lauren Rico did it.

I had moments where I just had to keep reading because I was so freaked out. And I wish I would have had the time to read it in one sitting.

I have read many good Thriller, but none was like that and I really think the element of the classical music contributed that extra wow-effect and helped making it even darker and more psychological.
The characters were so developed and having both perspectives really gave you that turn from light to dark.

So for me this is honestly a 5 out of 5 stars.

I can really recommend this book if you enjoy psychological thrillers (of course you shouldn`t be under age for this read as it as sexual and violent content).

Let me know if you want to read it and what you think of it in the comments below.

Take care,

💜Nadja

No comments:

Post a Comment