Monday, October 10, 2016

Review: Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs


Hi everyone,

as you can see I am holding the whole Miss Pregrines Trilogy Box Set by Ransom Riggs in my hand.
It is a while ago since I read it and my feelings are really mixed, that is why I didn't put a review up earlier.
Today though I want to start with the first one which is Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar children.

With these books I can't actually guarantee you a spoiler free review but I will do my best to keep it to a minimum.
So in this book we are meeting young Jacob who works in one of the stores that belongs to his families supermarket or drugstore chain. He dislikes his job very much as well as that his future is already planned out in the family business.
One day he gets a weird and worrying call from his grandfather.
When he drives to check on his grandfather he finds him in the woods behind the house dead. Jacob claims afterwards he had seen something weird which nobody believes him everyone things he has turned crazy and to help him solve his trauma his father travels with him the Island in Wales where his grandfather had grown up in Miss Peregrines Orphanage.
And this is where the actual story of Miss Peregrines Home of Peculiar Children takes off.


When I picked up this first book of Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children I was sure this is a quick and scary read.
It only has 348 pages and I was sure even with the little time I have to read I am done with it in 4 days maximum.
But when I started to read I absolutely disliked it. The story moved so slow and for the first 200 pages nothing really exciting is happening. For these 200 pages I already needed five days as I felt reading took me ages due to nothing really happening. If I hadn't already had the whole trilogy I wouldn't have finished.
But then again thankfully I did.
Once things finally started I also started to like the book, the story, the time travel aspect, the peculiar children, etc. and the last 140 pages only took me two days (due to the lack of time otherwise I would have read the rest in one sitting).
I would still say though that I don't really got scared (if I would have read this the age of 13 and not the age 27 I probably would have though). The pictures in the book were really nice especially if you can't really imagine the things descriped it is nice to have a picture to it.
So all in all the start was not the best but the end made up for the start. So my rating is 3 stars and I really hope part 2 is a bit more fast paced than this one and thinks start happening a bit early and not 75% through the book.

I haven't seen the movie yet, as I had that many troubles with the books, but maybe you guys can let me know your thoughts.

Take care,
💜Nadja




No comments:

Post a Comment