Monday, November 28, 2016

Review: The Sharks by Jens Bjørneboe

Hi everyone!

Finally I am back with a review.
I apologize for the late post, this was supposed to go up yesterday but eventually my internet didn't work, at all.
So The Sharks by Jens Bjørneboe is a book I had to read for my norwegian literature class.
I obviously read it in norwegian which is why I language wise can't talk for the translation.

This books takes place in the years 1899 and 1900. It marks of a century shift which you also notice throughout the story. Talking about the unknown, the scary but also about leaving something behind at some points.
Fall 1899 the ship Neptun starts its sailtour from Manila to Marseille.
Middle of 1900 it is official known as missing.
Peder Jensen who has the second position on the boat tells what happened on their tour.
From fist fights, knive fights to mutiny.
From alcoholics to religious fanatics. This book has it all.
It has humor at some points it is disgusting at others.
All in all Bjørneboe created an amazing allegory of the society back when he wrote the back put is still applying for todays society.

I really enjoyed this book, it was fast-paced although it times he got a little bit lost in his romantic thoughts of the boat.
As the fights were described detailed as well as the shark hunt I really felt disgusted at those points which is why I can't give this book 5 stars.
But for me that is the only reason, so 4.75 out of 5 stars.

I hope you enjoyed todays review.
Leave me a comment below if you have any questions, suggestions, or if you have read the book.

Take care
💜Nadja

No comments:

Post a Comment