Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Review: The Orphan's Tale by Pam Jenoff


Hi everyone,

todays post is late again ( I know!), but I just wanted this review for this weeks post (and I was sure I was going to finish the book by sunday, but...you know what I mean...life happened).
So yesterday I finished this beautiful book "The Orphan's Tale" by Pam Jenoff which I was lucky to get an ARC of (thanks Harlequin for providing me with a copy).
This review is as usual as honest as it can be so lets jump right into it.

Young Noa gets pregnant by a German Nazi soldier. When her parents find out about the pregnancy they kick her out. She has to give up her baby and from now on take care of herself. When cleaning at a trainstation (where she is also living) she one day finds this boxcar full of jewish infants and babys on their way to concentration camp. Reminded of her own child and the pain of her loss she rescues one of the babys and flees with him into the cold winter night. When a circus finds both of them and rescues them from the cold they immediately offer her shelter, but in exchange for that Noa has to become their new aerialist. Here she gets to know Astrid who keeps a secret as dangerous as her own.
From there on a friendship forms. A friendship that is tested several times, but a friendship that is also so beautiful that it made me tear up in the end.
This story is about love, trust, friendship and hope in times without hope.
Noa as young as she is is just so brave in her actions.
Astrid is also such a strong character and so brave in her own way.
I really enjoyed this book.
At some points I wasn't too happy with the character developement when it came to the male characters. I had wished for a more depth.
Otherwise I have nothing to complain about. I am still reflecting on it, but I am sure that this is in my top 5 of this year and definetly a book I will re-read.
Never ever did I think I would enjoy another World War II fiction but the element of the circus and the friendship...
It was just amazing.
4.75 stars out of 5.

Still happy I got to read this before it is up for sale in February, so thanks again for providing me with an ARC.

Now my dear readers: is this on your TBR? Or did you already read it? Let me know.

Take care and happy holidays,

💜Nadja

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a good story with strong characters. I´m not sure if it´s something for my reading list now....I have too many books unread at home...and I´m not sure if I´m in the mood for a rather sad story. It sounds like a book, which isn´t finished when you read the last page. It sounds more like a book with a story you have to think about a lot.
    But thanks for the great review! :)

    ReplyDelete