Sunday, February 19, 2017

Books I want to read this year


Hello readers,

today I want to show you some of the books I want to read this year.
Some of them have been on my shelf for years, some are recently bought.
I do not know wether I manage to read all of them because I of course want to bring you reviews of newer books as well, but I also want to finish the books sitting on my shelf.
And of course next semester holds another list of required reads as I am taking another class on modern Scandinavian literature focusing on August Strindberg and Henrik Ibsen. Besides those ...I have a lot of unread classics on my shelf, if you wish a post about those, please let me know in the comments below or on my instagram or twitter.

Some of the books I will mention today were mentioned in previous posts, so I will link you to those as per usual.

Most of the books today are Scandinavian crimes, as you may know besides dystopian Scandinavian crimes are my favorites.

So the one I am dying to read is The Ice Child by Camilla Läckberg. She is one of my favorites and this is the ninth book of the Patrick Hedström series.
You can read my thoughts on this series here.
So in this ninth book a girl nearly naked wanders through the woods in freezing cold weather. When she finally reaches the road a car comes out of nowhere and doesn't manage to stop. The girl had gone missing four month ago and has been subjected to unimaginably brutal treatment.
Patrick Hedström suspects that this is just the start and soon discovers that there are three other girls missing from towns nearby. They can't find any fresh leads, so when his wife Erika Falck, the famous author, discovers a link to an old murder case, Patrick is forced to see the whole case in a new light.

This synopsis just intrigues me so much. And with Camilla Läckberg I know I won't be disappointed in the end. So I can't wait to pick this up. And hopefully I can soon.

After this all books will be read in no particular order.

I have three books by Jo Nesbø on my list for this year although I must say I think one of those is later in the series. Jo Nesbø is often on sale so I buy those whenever I can not really watching the order they are in, but I read them in order.
The series I am reading here is the Harry Hole series. Harry is one of those lonely cops who from time to time has an alcohol problem. The cases I have read so far have been so critical towards society and politics. They were full of twists and turns and always had an unexpected ending. They kept me guessing until the end. I haven't dived into the synopsis with these because they sometimes contain topics that I would avoid reading about but once I am in the book I know I will enjoy them. So I hope you found the overall descriptions helpful.
The books I am planning to read are:
Nemesis
The Devil's Star
and The Redeemer (which I still need to get my hands on).

Next I have a two in one book by Karin Wahlberg (I love those for traveling as it is two books in one, so less to take with me).
This book has been on my shelf for several years now, and I really think I neglected it because I kept to the authors I already new. Karin Wahlberg is new to me. I really can't find an English title for this book. But they are both from the Clas Claesson series.
In the first one nurse in training Malin gets killed. Malin was a quiet young woman that had just started her education as a nurse at the hospital. She had just found a new love, so jealousy could be a motiv. The investigation leads Detective Claesson back into Malins childhood.
The second one deals with the murder of a old lady who is found dead in the laundry home of her apartment building. The only victim gets abducted shortly after the murder. The investigation leads the Detective to believe that the old lady wasn't as nice as thought.
Sounds intriguing to me. If anybody knows the English title please please please let me know in the comments below.

Next is the first book by Lars Pettersson.
It is as far as I know the first book of the Anna Magnusson Series and plays in northern Sweden.
Anna Magnusson is a Lawzer in Stockholm and goes back home far in the north to help her cousin who is accused of being a rapist.
Once the victim is found dead in the wilderness a few days after Anna arrived she doubts what she has geared so far and starts to search for the story behind the story. While doing so she gets nearly killed herself.
To me Lars Pettersson is obviously new but I really feel intrigued. I really hope it is as dark as I think it will be.

So last on my list of the Scandinavian authors in this post is Håkan Nesser. Now these books have been on my shelfs for years and I seriously doubt that I will actually pick them up but I hope  saying it out loud and putting it out here will motivate me to at least pick up one of those.
So the first one is an Inspector Barbarotti case. As far as I am concerned are they still not translated to english so I will just leave the swedish (En helt annan historia)  and german ( Eine ganz andere Geschichte) title here.
Summer 2016 sic swedish tourist are standing their vacation in France. Two couples and two single men. All of them somehow have a relationship to the fictional west swedish city of Kymlinge. Five years later someone starts to kill them one by one. Inspector Gunnar Barbarotti gets anonymous threats that contain hints on the case. He is standing in front of a mystery he has to solve.

The next one by Håkan Nesser is a more philosophical crime book. It contains a heritage and an old crime. The famous philosopher Tomas Borgman allows his former university friend Maertens to spend a week in his exquisite library after his death. After Maertens had spend a long time in jail he has become a loner, but the more time he spends in the library he finds out that has just bin a puppet in the cruel game of his passed friend Borgman.

And finally the last Scandinavian book is a literary thriller. The german title is Die Schatten und der Regen (again I couldn't find an english title for this one). A cruel homicide that happened a long time ago. The shadows of a youth. Two peoples who's paths are crossing again.
It sounds so good and I already started this one once but found the translation or the writing style very annoying, but I want to give it another chance.

So now onto the rest.

As previously mentioned I want to read the Selection series by Kiera Cass and I also started a bit with the first one. To me it seems like the Bachelor in book form. I know this shall be a dystopian but I am not sure I see that element just yet. But it seems like an easy read  so I hope I will like it for the romance or that there actually comes more of the dystopian throughout the series.

Next I have Walk on Earth the Stranger by Rae Carson. This is the first book of the Gold Seer Trilogy.
Lee can sense gold in the world around her. She has kept her family safe even through the harshest winters.
But what would someone do to control a girl with that kind of power? Someone might actually murder for it
Lee flees away to California, where she hopes to be able to be herself.

And finally the last book on this list is The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold. This is a book I bought ten years ago right after I read The lovely bones by her.
So this book explores the complex ties between mothers and daughters, wives and lovers, the meaning of devotion, and the line between love and hate (at least that is what goodreads says and my mother, who actually managed to read a book I bought before me).

So here we go. This is my TBR for this year, or at least a part of it. There will probably some other books pop up. I know that Lauren E. Rico comes out with a new one in May that I want to read, and there are so many other books I will be reading thanks to Uni and also thanks to new releases.

What is on your TBR this year? Which books can you recommend me? Let me know in the comments below.

See you again next week with another bookish post.

Take care,
📚 Nadja

No comments:

Post a Comment