Sunday, March 5, 2017

Review: The Impossible Fortress by Jason Rekulak

Hello readers,

Today I am finally back with a review.
All the exam reading and me being sick the whole exam period got me into a reading slump, so me taking ages to read this book had nothing to do with the book itself.
I got The Impossible Fortress by Jason Rekulak offered from Simon and Schuster already last year. The synopsis sounded great so I got my galley via Netgalley.
Eventually my required reading and my personal TBR is just piling up and I need some time to actually get to this one. So apologies from my site to Simon and Schuster for my late review.

So let's jump right into it.

This book takes place in the 80s. To be more accurate in the year 1987.
Billy Marvin and his friends Alf and Clarke want the new Playboy with the Vanna White photos in it (who is Vanna White? Did she really exist? If you know that let me know). Eventually they are too young to get them legally. They try different ways all failing in the end.
One day they decide to break into the store, get the Playboy and leave the money. To do so they need the alarm code.
Billy offers to get the code from the shop owners daughter, Mary Zielinsky, who as well as Billy loves computer games and coding. So Billy starts coding a game together with Mary and by that tries (or not) to get the alarm code from Mary.
Everything else I would tell you from there would be a spoiler so you got to see for yourself how the story and the plan unfolds.

Every chapter of this book starts with some computer code, which I seriously just overread because I do not know a thing about it.
Story wise this intrigued me at first because it was playing in the 80s and I still know the trouble of those old computers, as I am born in the late 80s.
Second, don't we all want to know what boys come up with just to get a playboy? I wanted to, although I must admit at some point I stopped caring about that plan and just wanted Billy to ditch that plan and see the friendship between him and Mary develope to something.
The characters were at some points to flat for me. They were well developed but pretty predictable.
I must though say the ending had a nice turn and surprised me at some points.

It definitely is a funny and quick read (unless you are in a reading slump) and I rated it with 3.5 stars out of 5, mainly because the middle part started to bore me a bit and the actions the characters took were so predictable. I really liked the end and it absolutely saved the story for me.

Thanks again to Simon and Schuster for providing me with a free copy.

Have you read The Impossible Fortress? Let me know what you thought!

I see you again for another bookish post next week.
Happy reading and take care,

📚 Nadja

No comments:

Post a Comment