Sunday, June 25, 2017

Review: Letting go by Maria Thompson Corley



Hello readers,

A couple of weeks ago Maria Thompson Corley  contacted me and asked me to review her book Letting go.

Letting go is a coming of age story told from two perspectives.

We have Cecile a young Afro Canadian woman (if I got that right?) who wants to become a pianist and we got Langston and Afro Canadian (sorry again if I got that wrong) young man who doesn't really know what he wants from life.
Cecile  moves to the US to study at Juilliard.
With her strictly religious parents she has troubles giving into her womanhood and feels guilty for giving into her sexuality. We shortly also discover that black female pianists are rare and that it might be tough on the jobmarked for her later on.
Along the way Cecile meets Teddy and sooner or later finds herself in an unhealthy relationship with him. Where will that lead?

Langston grew up at his grandmother with his other siblings. While everyone seems to have a love life Langston is single. However his family wants him to be happy they also want him to find a wife. Langston becomes a teacher, but is that really what he wants?

Along the way both Cecile and Langston meet. What will happen with them?

Now with this book I honestly had my ups and downs.
At first it looked promising to me regarding women's rights and maybe diving into the racial discrimination topic. As much potential I saw there it didn't happen at all. It was roughly mentioned but we didn't really saw it becoming a topic in this book which I personally found disappointing.

The whole Teddy and Cecile storyline was not really enjoyable to read for me. It moved so slow and right from the start I knew how it would end. Through that part I also lost my liking of Cecile's character, which thankfully came back a little towards the end of the novel, but overall that part wasn't really my thing.

Langstons storyline on the other hand was very enjoyable to read. He was very sarcastic which even mad sad moments light. Overall his part didn't seem as dark and depressing as Ceciles'

I really enjoyed to read the interaction between Cecile and Teddy where Cecile suddenly became a whole other person, which I actually liked a lot.

So if this novel would have had a little bit less of Cecile's and Teddys storyline and a little bit more Langston and Cecile I Oulu have appreciated that a lot. However if this would have been two separate books I would have definitely picked Langstons story over Ceciles'.
Cecile seems overall to be mostly stuck and her character needed a long time to show some developement, whereas Langston really tried to find himself and follow his interests.

It is definitely an interesting read, but since I struggled so much with major parts of it I gave it 3 out of 5 stars (so right in the middle).

If you have read Letting Go by Maria Thompson please share your thoughts with me in the comments below.

Thank you very much to Maria Thompson Corley for providing me with a review galley of this book. I really appreciate it.

From July on there will be Wednesday posts added to my blog. So stay tuned for some really interesting guest posts, cover reveals, giveaways, blog tours, and my Top 5 Wednesday recommendations.

I see you again soon for another bookish post.

Take care,
đź“šNadja

No comments:

Post a Comment