Sunday, July 30, 2017

Review: Revenants: The Odyssey Home by Scott Kauffman


Hello readers,

a while back Scott Kauffman reached out to me and offered me a review copy of his novel Revenants: The Odyssey Home in exchange for an honest review.
I finally had the time to pick this novel up and wanted to share my thoughts on it.

It is a story of grief and war.
Betsy looses her brother Nathan who served as a soldier. To overcome the loss she is placed at a veterans hospital as a help.
When she hears about a secret patient on the 4th floor she needs to know more. She finds him and wants to know his story. Why is nobody to know about him? What is his story? Why does a congressman tries to keep him a secret?

From the synopsis I felt that it could all become too much for one novel but I must actually say that the whole story at the veterans hospital and solving the mystery of the secret patient was really great.
I however felt that the last ten percents of the book were too much for me. To me the story was fine after the mystery got solved. I wouldn`t have needed Nathans story. I of course get why it was presented but for me it was unnecessary. It was as well more telling than showing which I in general am not very fond of.
On the other hand did I really like the writing style. I struggled a bit with it during the secret patients perspective but overall I think that the writing actually contributed to making this really heavy story fast to read.

I gave it 3.5 out of five stars, the plot and writing are amazing, but the last ten percent really dragged it a bit down for me.

Thanks again to Scott Kauffman for providing me with a digital review copy.

If you have read Revenants: The Odyssey Home let me know your thoughts in the comments below and I will see you again on Wednesday for another bookish post.

Take care,
đź“šNadja

No comments:

Post a Comment