Sunday, August 13, 2017

Review: The Expansion by Christoph Martin


Hello readers,

today I have a review for you on The Expansion by Christoph Martin which I requested a while ago on Netgalley.
Thank you for the chance to review this novel.

We start off in the winter mountains of Switzerland, make it to the suburbs of London and end up in tropical Panama where the protagonist Max Burns is working on the expansion of the Panama Canal. Where we also meet the strong female characters of Karis Deen and Sophia.
This novel includes the political aspect of such a project, intrigues, lies, romance, friendship...

There is a lot going on here.

The whole story sounded very intriguing to me and when I first picked it up I was impressed how fast it moved. However at some points I would have wished for it to slow down a bit, focus a bit more on character developement and explaining the complex progresses. This made me feel so left out of the story. I couldn't identify with one single character, I didn't know who to like and who not to like. And sometimes I felt I completely didn't understand the processes they talked about.
The ending felt completely rushed to me. It was like one minute something happened and the next you already had it solved.

I did however enjoy this book. It was quick and intriguing read and I gave it 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Have you picked up The Extension yet? - Let me know in the comments below.

I see you again on Wednesday for another bookish post.

Take care,
📚 Nadja

No comments:

Post a Comment