Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Top 5 Recommendations: Hard Topics "Fiction"

Hello readers,

two weeks ago I presented you five non-fictional reads that dealed with hard topics (which you may find here). Today I wanted to take the chance to present you five fictional reads dealing with hard topics that I enjoyed (they were still not easy to read).
Some of them were cryworthy, others just made me incredible angry, some scared me...lets face it you will probably go through a lot of emotions reading them.

So lets dive into it in no particular order.

1. This Boy`s Life by Tobias Wolff


Now this is actually a memoir so should have probably been in my non-fictional hard topic reads post, but I for a fact didn`t know it was a real story, but I always believed it could have been and today I found out it was (shame on me), but it read like a fiction novel. I did read this book as a teenager and there is actually a film out as well which I also own but which I only watched once because Robert DeNiro scared the hell out of me.
Now this is a story dealing with domestic violence in possibly the cruelest ways. It was so difficult to read and I definetly read this with many breaks because at times it really disgusted me and scared me but at the same time it made me so aware of the topic of domestic violence specifically child abuse that I just had to include it in my recommendations.

2. The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath


The Bell Jar tells the story of Esther Greenwood who 1953 starts working at a fashion magazine in New York and falls into a deep depression ending in a suicide attemp followed by her therapy in a mental hospital.
I remember that this had a comical take at times but when it was dark it was really dark. Esther went through several suicide attempts before the serious incident.
This novel is also semi autobiographical which in my eyes really comes through in the writing. No easy read but definetly worth picking up.

3. My Sisters Keeper by Jodi Picoult


My Sisters Keeper is probably well known thanks to the movie, but the book has a different ending so definetly worth picking up just to see the difference.
This novel has more than cancer and the wish of giving up fighting and to die as a hard topic for me.
This tells the story of Kate and her family. Kate is by now a teenage girl who has been suffering from cancer nearly all off her life. Her younger sister, a child who only seems born to be a organ donar to her older sister, refuses to give Kate her kidney (if I believe right). This was such a gripping novel, yet it was so hard to read for me out of personal reasons. I hated the ending so much I can say, I really preferred the movie, but I can only recommend picking up the book too. The insight into the different characters emotions is so much deeper in the novel.

4. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak


The Book Thief is a YA Historical Fiction telling the story of Liesl Memminger who lives in a fictional town in Nazi Germany during World War II. What makes this story unique is that it is told from the perspective of death.
I have a more in depth review on the blog in case you want to check it out.
Now I have another World War II fiction novel I could have added here that also moved me to tears but I just found this one to be more unique and less of a romance. To me most World War II novels belong into this category but I think The Book Thief is a great book to start with in this category.

5. The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold


14 year old Susie Salmon gets raped and murdered on her way home from school in the year 1973 (I think). She finds herself in her own Heaven from where she watches how her family and friends deal with the loss of her as well as having to come to terms with her own death.
This was for a long time my favorite book. I didn't like the movie at all but hands down I have re-read the book not just twice.
It is a tough read but at the same time it is just a unique read seeing a murder case solved from the victims perspective from Heaven.
Definetly worth picking up in my eyes.


Now these were todays Top 5 recommendations. I am sorry that this went up a bit late in the day today but I am quite sick at the moment.
I hope you enjoyed this post. Leave me your recommendations in the comments below and I will see you on Sunday for another bookish post.

Take care,
đź“šNadja

1 comment:

  1. I've seen the movie about Susie Salmon and didn't really liked it.

    I remember watching "My sisters keeper" as well. It was a really hard topic. Good to know it has a different ending in the book. But I think they chose a pretty "good" ending in the movie.

    ReplyDelete